Well well well, the very first words of my very first travel
blog.. and blogs in general! I wasn’t going to start until I reached Nepal (hence the
title of the blog) but there has been a fair bit going on in good old Bangladesh, so I
thought I’d share it all with you.
After many sleepless hours doing one of my least
favourite activities (flying), I finally arrived in Banga. Dhaka airport is
cruel; you can see your loved ones about 30 metres away behind a barrier when you stand in line for
customs, so after around 10 minutes of awkward waving to them whilst standing in line, you
then remember you STILL have to go to the bag carousel and attempt to find your
bag amongst the hoards of bearded men and have it scanned. Not fun when you
have a 15kg pack, a 10kg duffel bag full of knitted goods for Nepalese orphans,
a 7kg carry-on bag and a laptop bag… and you’re too stubborn to accept help
from strangers. Yup, that was me.
Considering I’d arrived in Dhaka at around 5:30am
Melbourne time (which is wayyyyy past Grandma Milnes’ bedtime, as many of you know), I spent most of
Monday relaxing, reacquainting myself with the Aussie Club and doing some
shopping, as most of the things I managed to fit into my pack were
trekking-related. However, I ended up with a bit more than just “a few things”
to get me through the week in Bangladesh. Hopefully dad and Donna have some
room in their suitcases when they come back to Aus for Christmas! Plus, with
Donna’s mad bargaining skillz, this whole lot pretty much cost me $25 or so.
Ohhhh yeh!
On Tuesday, Donna and I woke at 6am (with Donna and dad
feeling a bit under the weather.. lucky I had stayed away from spicy food the
night before - good move!) to head to Donna’s work, a factory whose managers are
kindly donating a whole pack of underwear for each girl at BMIS (that’s almost
500 undies!).
I was super excited to see Sylvia again on Wednesday, the
Principal when I visited the Baptist Mission Integrated School (BMIS) back in
April. She has since taken up a new position within the YWCA (Young Women’s
Christian Association) in Dhaka and is doing some great work, still with
the same passion as always. However, she really misses the girls at BMIS and
can’t wait to see them tomorrow when we present the school with a
cheque for the money raised from the trivia night. It was a grand total of
$4862,65 AUD which converts into approximately 415,000 Bangladeshi Taka. Thank
you SO MUCH to everyone who attended, supported and donated; I really couldn’t
have done it without you (and thanks to dad who spent an hour at the bank trying to
get the cheque written!).
| Me with AUD $4862.65 worth of Bangladeshi Taka in my hands :):):) |
When I was in Bangladesh in April, I read a book by Prof
Muhammad Yunus, a Bangladeshi Professor of Economics who came up with the idea
of “microfinance” or “microcredit”, basically a concept where a community bank
makes small loans to poor women without requiring collateral (yes, I stole that
from Wiki and no I will not be referencing it properly). It is a fascinating
subject and here is the Wiki link for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grameen_Bank.
Whilst reading the book, I wondered whether this was more just an
idealistic concept, rather than a practical solution.. I wondered whether it
worked in the real world. Well, while being shown around the grounds of the
YWCA Girls Secondary School in Dhaka, guess what I got to sit in on - a women’s
microfinance group meeting! It was inspiring. The group works like this: to
join the group, the women must have children attending the school (thereby
encouraging them to educate their children) and once per week a doctor visits their
meetings for check-ups. The women have to prove that they can save money for a
certain period of time before being eligible to receive microfinance, a small
loan to help them with whatever project they choose to undertake, in order to
earn money to pay back the loan with a small amount of interest. I loved this
experience; it was so inspirational to see that despite the poverty engulfing
so much of the Bangladeshi population, there were still good people willing to
try to alleviate as much of it as they possibly can.
Wednesday night was my birthday dinner at dad’s favourite restaurant in Dhaka and the food was YUM! Thanks dad J
This ring is a present from dad and Donna for my graduation, birthday and Christmas this year. I spotted it when I was here in April and was shattered that it had been sold when I returned to the same shop this time around. Little did I know, dad had been hiding it in a sock drawer since April, planning on giving it to me when I visited again!
Stay tuned, lovely people! Missing you all but can’t wait
to see you,
Alex xx
By 'reaquaiting yourself with the Aussie Club' do you mean you went to the gym??? I'd put my bank account on it!
ReplyDeleteI've heard about the microfinancing and it sounds amazing, it's a fantastic idea
Have fun presenting the massive cheque, I'm so proud of all the work you did to make the trivia night happen. They'll be soooo pumped to see you! Safe travels mate xxxx foznugget
hahahaha how did you guess?! yeh I totally did.. it was awesome! :p xx
ReplyDelete