All the best scenery photos are already on facebook and
since the photos appear so small on my blog, I think I’ll just put all the
non-scenery photos up on here. But check out facebook for the rest!
DAY 1
| The group in Kathmandu, ready to go. Pilar from Spain, Renate from Austria, Caeli from Canada and ME! |
We arrived in Bulbule (840m) after about 7 hours in a van
along some pretty bumpy roads. We left Kathmandu at about 11am this morning and
were definitely ready to go by that stage. Although I was a little nervous
about the drive here, as Caeli had told me that last time she travelled on the
road from Kathmandu to Pokhara, the bus in front of her veered off the road
into the river! I also made the mistake of telling mum this before we left, a
mistake I learnt from later (stay tuned for that story..).
| definitely couldn't complain about the views from the van though |
However, despite the fact that our driver was a little
crazy and didn’t take his hand off the horn for longer than 3 seconds at a
time, I actually felt pretty safe. The closest I felt to dying was when I
needed to have a pee in the bushes on the side of the road and apparently found
my way into a mosquito nest or something! In the 30 second process, I think I
ended up with about 20 bites all over my legs… and other places.
| The first Tourist Check Post |
| Our teahouse in Bulbule |
| Enthusiastically planning for the two weeks ahead! Dil in the middle, then Pete (his English name.. which we gave him for the trek) and Jack (also not his real name, but he loved it!) |
We left Bulbule this morning at around 8am by the time we
(OK… me) got ready and had some breakfast.
| This is when I started to realise that I might be one of the only people who can say they have put weight on whilst trekking in Nepal.. |
| The group ready to leave on the first morning |
I was quite enjoying living a little “rough” in the
mountains, although later discovered from Caeli (who had spent 6 weeks in a
tiny village in the mountains) that this was definitely luxury in comparison.
Still, for me, cold showers, squat toilets, lots of tea and only drinking water
which has been purified for half an hour was close enough to mountain life for
me!
| Our first bridge crossing right as we left Bulbule |
| First landslide spotting! |
| Making friends along the way |
| No power, so writing my journal in candlelight. How romantic! |
Today we walked for a total of 6 hours, gaining 310m to Shrichaur.
DAY 3
| Constant traffic on the roads |
Today was another 8 hour day, starting at 8am again from
Shrichaur and arriving in Dharepani (1860m) at 4pm after around 6 hours of
solid hiking. Some of the highlights:
Today was a shorter day of walking, only around 4 and a half hours. However about an hour was pretty steady climbing/clambering up rocks which was good fun but pretty tiring (see sweat patch below)
| He was carrying around 10 times as much as her.. and he wasn't a porter, just her boyfriend. ha! |
| Lunch at Tal - the city of colourful buildings! |
| Lonely donkey :( |
| We are not going anywhere fast.. |
| Lots of new friends |
| Always loved getting into my sleeping bag at night! |
| THE SPIDER TEAHOUSE! :/ |
I am amazed by the facilities so far; the menu choices are
huge and the food is amazing. I had a hot shower today for about 60 cents -
heaven, until a spider the size of my hand decided to skirt across the wall
right in front of my face! I actually thought it may come back and just onto my
face, so I ran out of the shower in jump my towel (probably inappropriate) and
ran up to the room to tell Caeli, who went down to inspect it, joined
eventually by about four Nepalis. They all tried to coax it out by spraying
water onto the hot water meter, causing sparks to fly everywhere, until they
decided that wasn’t a great idea. It was never seen again, although I’m sure
it’s planning its next ambush of a poor tourist who just wants to enjoy a hot
shower!!!
DAY 4
| Some had interesting trekking attire |
The rest of the walking was pretty easy, but with AMAZING views of Annapurna II (9737m), Annapurna IV (7525m) and Manaslu, which is where some German climbers died in an avalanche a couple of weeks ago at second base camp, about 7000m.
| Nepal is just so romantic |
| Tea break at Timang |
| Ensuring the map was up to date at all times |
We arrived in Chame at about 2:30pm, at an altitude of
2670m. Hot lemon tea is my new favourite thing and its much appreciated at 7
degrees Celsius in my down jacket and thermals, looking a little too attractive
I think.
DAY 5
Today definitely offered the best photo opportunities (if
in doubt, check out the photos on Facebook from October 21st). It
was a shorter day, with just under 5 hours of walking time and a few tough
patches in the middle, although it felt much longer! We headed off from Chame
at around 8am and stopped in Bhratang for morning tea, then up to Dhikur
Pokhari for lunch. From there, it was a pretty hard walk up to Upper Pisang and
we almost thought it was for nothing because Dil’s favourite teahouse was full!
Luckily he found one that had opened in the last year and decided to give it a
go.
| "If you feel nausea or headache, it could be the altitude sickness, so immediately speed to the downward" !! |
| I know I said no scenery photos.. but wow! |
| Popular apple stop in Bhratang |
| Nice and cozy at the teahouse in Upper Pisang |
| Hot lemon tea at the monastery in Upper Pisang. yum! |
DAY 6
| View of Lower Pisang from Upper Pisang |
We arrived in Manang at about 3pm after an interesting
day! We planned on taking the road from Upper Pisang to Manang but somehow
ended up on the upper route and couldn’t find our way back down, so decided to
challenge ourselves and stick with it. This meant we were climbing to an
altitude higher than where we would end up (Manang) which is supposedly good
for acclimatisation, but my legs were not loving it! Today was another great
day for scenery shots, so check out facebook!
| Still smiling! |
Day 7
| Our cabin with all the washing hanging out nearby |
REST DAY! As we had arrived at over 3000m (which is when
most people start developing mild symptoms of altitude sickness), we needed a
day to let our bodies acclimatise before climbing any further. However, we
certainly did not rest. After a late brekky (8am), we did a bit of much needed
laundry by hand (I’m sure I saw some locals laughing at my technique) and
didn’t think my hands would ever be warm again!
At around 9am, we hiked up to the lama temple and paid
100 rupees to get blessed by the Buddhist lama for our journey to the pass (oh,
and we got a string necklace, woo!)
| Thanks Miriam and George for my bag - everyone was super jealous! |
| being "blessed" by an old guy who lives in a cave (hmm) |
| The group at the top of the lama temple |
| On the way back down, I managed to snap one of my favourite photos of the trip! |
By the time we made it back to Manang, it was almost
lunchtime, so we had some momos and Tibetan bread, before exploring Manang and
its many bakeries and coffee shops. At around 1pm, we walked about 20 minutes
to the nearby glacier lake. It was STUNNING. I don't think my pictures really
do it justice but I definitely could have stayed for hours just admiring it.
![]() |
| The "projector hall" |
We decided to would be a good idea to attend the afternoon lecture held by the local medical post regarding AMS (acute mountain sickness). Although informative, every time the hot British doctor mentioned a headache, I could feel one coming on. At 5pm, we wandered down to the local “cinema” (i.e. wooden pews in front of a projector screen) to watch Into Thin Air, a story about a group of Everest summiters who didn’t make it back.. maybe not the best thing to have watched before heading up to high altitudes.. but a fun night nonetheless.
DAY 8
So the walk itself, although beautiful, was a little
difficult to enjoy because I either needed to pee or was worried about needing
to pee soon! The actual walk itself was not too strenuous but we took it pretty
slow, with lots of stops along the way (mainly for us to find a toilet). We got to Yak
Khurka (4050m) by 11:30am , so Dil decided a quick 20 minute acclimatisation
walk would be good. Two hours later, we’d almost reached the peak of a mountain
above the clouds and decided it would probably be a good idea to head back!
| It was definitely getting more chilly |
| The view of Yak Khurka (the tiny village near the river) from where we'd hiked to. |
DAY 9
“After a terrible sleep last night, today didn’t turn out
too bad” says my diary haha. We left Yak Khurka early in the morning but only
got around 100 metres in half an hour because a helicopter rescue was happening
right in front of us! Apparently a lady who had been staying in our hotel had
such back problems that she needed to be airlifted out.
| IT CAME! |
The walk was tough in parts, but this was more likely due
to altitude than actual physical exertion, because we had definitely done much
steeper during the first few days, which seemed a lot easier than now!
| Such a friendly dog! |
| Hard to see, but when the dog got sick of us, it decided to start annoying this massive yak by barking at it and running in circles around it - hilarious! |
| The group (in order of height, apparently!) |
| It was a bit concerning that the "landslide area" sign looked like it had been hit by a landslide itself.. |
We arrived in Thorung Phedi (4450m) at around 11am, with
the plan to walk up to High Camp (4833m) to acclimatise if we felt up to it.
Needless to say, we were happy to hang around in Thorung Phedi and tackle High
Camp bright and early the next morning.
Well, the time had finally come - the whole last week had been about building up to and acclimatising for Pass Day the very next day…
Well, the time had finally come - the whole last week had been about building up to and acclimatising for Pass Day the very next day…
| This was much more fun than going for an acclimatisation walk! |
DAY 10
“WE MADE IT! what a day..”
After very little sleep, we woke up at 3am to a
ridiculously chilly morning (maybe not for Caeli the Canadian, but definitely
for me!).
It begins!
After some early morning porridge, we headed off at 4am
to High Camp which took an hour of steady climbing.
From High Camp, it was another couple of hours (and 700m
elevation gain) up to the Thorung La Pass (5416m). It was FREEZING. I really
don’t think I’ve ever been so cold in my entire life; couldn’t really feel my
face or legs and every time I wanted a rest, I kept sitting on an icy rock
which made my bum even more numb. Supposedly the walk from High Camp to the
Pass is “easier” than the walk from Thorung Phedi to High Camp, but it
definitely didn’t feel like that. Looking back on the photos now, it seems like
such a gradual incline and doesn’t look cold at all, but I can still remember
how every step felt like it was bringing me into colder and windier conditions
and how difficult it was to breathe (especially with a residual cough I had
thanks to Kathmandu pollution). But eventually, we got there!!
| Celebratory hot chocolate |
| and Snickers.. or two! |
Caeli and I stayed at the pass for around an hour, drinking
tea, eating chocolate and waiting for the others to come. It really did feel
like a great achievement for me, having never been over 2000m above sea level
before (good old Mt Hotham!) and knowing that we had spent the last 7 days
hiking from 840m and acclimatising our bodies etc.
Once we went over the pass and started heading downhill,
it was like the coldness disappeared and everything was going to be OK again!!
Although my knees were not loving it, I think my entire body was thankful for
some warmth. I was really looking forward to heading back to more normal
altitudes, not having to worry about every little sign of altitude sickness,
making sure my appetite stayed normal (hard to believe that I still ate more than a normal person, even at 5000m!! most people say their appetites halve.. ha) and trying to drink 4 litres of water per day in negative
temperatures.
| time for a shower? |
We made it into Muktinath by 12:30pm, having started trekking at 4am, so it felt like it was late afternoon. We explored the town a little, had a “hot” (lukewarm) shower and hung out in our sleeping bags to avoid the cold (I think we all imagined it would miraculously warm again once we got to Muktinath, but we forgot that we were still over 3500m and it was definitely still cold!)
The whole trek was filled with Bob Marley signs and posters.. so funny!
| Bible verse on the front of a menu.. interesting! |
| A fake 7 eleven shop (the yak cheese gave it away!) |
| Two lovebirds in Muktinath |
DAY 11
| View from balcony in Muktinath |
My diary is a little vague about today.. maybe because I
was still recovering from the day before.. but from the photos, I am reminded
that it was a lot of downhill first up, then a two hour walk across a
ridiculously windy desert bit AND being back on the roads (rather than the
hiking trail), so again trying to avoid being run over and beeped at by motorbikes
and jeeps.
| An awkward photo with Jack and Pete |
Back on the road, but going downhill at least!
The never ending flat stretch of desert
We arrived in Jomsom (2720m) at around 3:30pm after a 6
and a half hour day. Free wifi, free battery charging and free hot shower… what
more could one want!?
Here are some photos:
This sign is about 2km from a mountain warfare army barracks.. interesting, Nepal, very interesting!
The remains of the plane crash from earlier this year.. some people survived - miracle.
DAY 12
Today Jack took over as guide (because Dil was busy
organising a flight for Pilar all morning) and I’m pretty sure he loved it!
I remember today being a bit of a struggle.. although the
hiking was quite easy (mainly flat/downhill) and it was a relatively short day
of walking (5 and a half hours), everyone was still pretty exhausted from pass
day and not very chatty, which made the time go much slower. I think it was the
first and (almost) only day I pulled out my ipod to keep me occupied whilst
walking. Having said that, the scenery was pretty stunning and looking back on
the photos, I don’t think I appreciated it as much as I should have whilst we
were actually walking. Here are a few pictures:
I asked Jack what this plant was and rather than go over and have a look and let me know, he decided to rip it out of the ground and give it to me.. not really what I had in mind!
We arrived in Kalapani at around 3:30pm and Dil had once
again outdone himself in choosing a teahouse to stay. The bathroom was amazing
and had such a big bucket, that we realised we couldn’t really put off doing
the very overdue laundry any longer!
| .. and were rewarded with this beautiful sunset! |
DAY 13
Another day of pretty steady downhill trekking with some
beautiful scenery along the way.
We also saw these ridiculously cute baby goats which must have only been a few days old, considering some still had their umbilical cord attached!
We arrived in Tatopani (back to 1190m - amazing!) after a
7 hour day and ventured down to the hot springs (which the area is famous for).
It was pretty nice to be in hot water again and we stayed there for a good
couple of hours before getting out, washing down in the (freezing) cold shower
and heading back to the teahouse for dinner and BED (early morning the next
day, because it was long day of uphill climbing, back up to Ghorepani which is
2860m).
DAY 14
Last day of uphill complete! An 1800m elevation gain in
one day. I was a little worried at first, because my body had become so used to
the ease of walking downhill that the first hour was a little
difficult. However I soon got used to burning thighs and sweat running down my
back again (very attractive, I know).
Everyone needed a rest by lunchtime!
I got a bit nostalgic in my diary today: “I can’t believe we will be in Pokhara this time tomorrow - I remember writing at the start that I can’t believe we will be trekking for so long.. and now it’s over. It’s been the BEST trip - exercise, amazing scenery, great food and company - can’t really ask for anything more!”
Very true.
DAY 15
It was very beautiful.
| ... although we definitely weren't alone!! |
so that was the trek! Not much else to say; the photos on Facebook are
a real representation of how amazing the trek was and although I think I annoyed
everyone by taking my camera out every few minutes, I’m definitely glad I did!
Caeli and I spent an extra few days in Pokhara -
relaxing, eating, getting massages, wandering the city and PARAGLIDING!
(decided not to tell mum about that until afterwards.. definitely a good idea).
| The group having a fairwell dinner in Pokhara |
| Lakeside Pokhara |
| chillin' |
| Eating nutritious foods! |
| Sunset in Pokhara |
| PARAGLIDING! |
We have been back in Kathmandu for a week today and have
fallen straight back into routine (which I love, of course!). It’s been great
meeting the new volunteers and going out to dinner with various people and to
different places. The learning camp at Nepal Orphans Home (which was my
original plan when I arrived back in Kathmandu) apparently has enough
volunteers helping out for the moment, so I have decided to start again at the
Baby Orphanage in Tinkune (which I visited when I first started). I was a bit
nervous about this at first (read my other blog posts to find out why!) but it’s
actually much better when there are more volunteers there. I have been going
with Sarah, a fellow Australian who is currently studying infant massage, as well
as Pat and Marian, the New Zealanders. Pat works in a kinder, so is all kinds
of knowledgeable about toddlers! It’s been much less stressful with more of us
there and we have been bringing along things for them to do, which gives them a
little structure.
Here are some pictures from the last week back in
Kathmandu:
![]() |
| First night back in Kathmandu - dinner at a Newari restaurant - YUM! |
| Having a REAL coffee in Thamel |
![]() |
| Back to our favourite place - Tandoori! |
| I found Jobi, our old dog! |
![]() |
| Taking Caeli out clubbing for the first time. |
| BEST carbonara in Nepal for sure! |
| More real coffee and gelato - ohhh yehhh! |
![]() |
| Being a bus at the Baby Orphanage |
| Celebrating Obama's victory at the Volunteer House! |
| We found a gym to go to! |
| Often wondered how so many signs were spelt wrong in Nepal.. maybe they just don't care? |
![]() |
| Gorgeous kids at the Baby Orphanage |
| Lunch time! |
![]() |
| Welcome to the Baby Orphanage hairdressing salon |
![]() |
| Love making them laugh!! |
So you are now all updated with the last 3 weeks of my Nepal adventure. It has been truly incredible and a little hard to describe in words, but I’m sure you can see why that is from the pictures. I am missing everyone at home but there is never a lonely or dull moment here, with so many amazing people around me.
‘Till next blog,
Alex J



.jpg)

.jpg)

.jpg)
Fave blog so far!! absolutely amazing photos! Phoebs x
ReplyDelete